Tuesday 1 January 2019

2018 in review.

Well 2018 has come and gone and astronomy has not fared well.
My statistics for the year are listed below, not for the squeemish.

I firmly believe that global warming and climate change are largely responsible for the poor weather. Our weather patterns have noticeably changed over the last decade and as amateur astronomers we are more acutely aware of the weather than most.
Then we all have those nights where you have prior engagements or the Moon is out in it's full glory denying you any DSO.

2018 also saw me get back to more visual work and focus less on the AP side of things. I really enjoyed getting back to my roots and chasing targets around the sky with my trusty old dob.
I also purchased a new scope in the Skywatcher 130PDS last year and have realized I am a mirrors fan and not so much a glass fan.
Having used both refractors and reflectors I seem to think I am in the reflector camp. If only astronomy gear and scopes were cheaper in general, especially in South Africa, so that I could try out a wider range of scopes.
One place I have yet to explore is the equatorial mount, maybe 2019 will be the year.

As for 2019, I hope to get more AP done this year and I hope to do plenty more sketching, my fingers are itching for it. At this time of year there are plenty of great targets to choose from in the southern night skies.


According to my notes I have logged 285 objects for 2018.
  • Jan = 2 sessions.
  • Feb = 3 sessions.
  • Mar = 1 session.
  • Apr = 4 sessions.
  • May = 7 sessions Best time to view(Autumn/Winter) Winter here has significantly less cloud cover than the rest of the year.
  • Jun = 2 sessions Best time to view(Winter)
  • Jul = 5 sessions Best time to view(Winter)
  • Aug = 0 sessions Clouds start to return and gear up for the wet season.
  • Sep =1 session. Wet season starts and runs through till late Feb.
  • Oct = 2 sessions
  • Nov =1 session
  • Dec =0 sessions
28 sessions over 365 days. I suck at math so double check the figures here but that gives me a total of 3.57% of last year that was spent under the stars, that in itself is a bleak statistic.




Wishing you all a happy and prosperous new year!
May the astronomy gods gift you with endless clear skies!


No comments:

Post a Comment